Drops / Pulls is ruining this game

Technical support regarding all platforms, attempted cheating and harassment complaints.

Moderator: Essence Team

Gigaplex
In-game user name:

Drops / Pulls is ruining this game

Post by Gigaplex » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:31 pm

Hello,

How come the developers can't manage to fix the simple drop/ pull issue? How come they keep making excuses for such a basic feature which is at the core of the game? It should be considered a drop, “If you’re winning and someone pulls the plug or quits without surrendering. or If the server detects that you’re still here and they are not.” Consider that a drop. Ping both sides and the person who’s ping does not come back after a certain amount of time is considered dropped and giving a lost. No more useless features that don’t address the real issue. Extra deck / Rankings and Tournaments that do not mean anything if people are pulling / droppings on purpose. Until this issue is fixed the game is virtually pointless.

1mb4k4
In-game user name: 1mb4k4

Re: Drops / Pulls is ruining this game

Post by 1mb4k4 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:21 pm

Hi,

I am happy that we are discussing the issue! I must apologize for not giving out the things i have in mind this far...

Let me explain the core issue here.

First of all how the system works. The server sends a signal to all its clients. The client respond immediately with the same signal. This is done every 20 seconds or so. The round-up time measured from this communication is the so called "ping" or near double the latency of the connection. When someone pulls the plug, the server will know about the disconnect after some time usually from 15 to 20 seconds. Then the server will wait for another 45 seconds for him to reconnect. You may add some other communication overhead and you will find out that you have to wait at least a minute in any case just to know that the opponent will not come back.

Second. Giving losses would not stop people from dropping. It will at maximum stop them from playing ranking. They will keep doing it just to piss you off. This is just because they are this kind of people. And you will be hanging in and waiting and being angry.

Third. As you know rewards in the ranking games are significant. Giving away rewards for drops is an easy exploit for players to cheat. You know how it happens with multiple accounts, we discussed the situation with multiple accounts not so long ago. Yes, what about minimum number of turns. Well it will not stop people from doing it. Just another rule to work around. I have seen a player to start 200 games vs AI and to surrender just acquire 200 experience.

Fourth. Some people loose their connection, not by dropping intentionally. Yes, currently it is a small fraction of the total drops, but it happens. It is not fair to give people losses in this case. You will say "i don't mind it if it were me" or "I will accept it". Currently you are affected, because you are angry. Also you have an excellent connection most of the time. Ranking games are for everybody. Even for people with dial-up or other slow connections.

Fifth. I must assure you that pulling the plug is the same as loosing network coverage as from the server point view. It is detectable only by statistical analysis of historic data, and this can not be 100% correct. It is also complex and takes resources.

This leads to the conclusion why it is a common approach to count "drops" instead of giving losses!

Lately we are discussing a solution to this problem and also we have a lot of other work. I beg you be patient. We will do our best to find a solution to the issue. Our aim is not fight the fact that somebody dropped but to make him stop doing it in the first place.

Erik414
In-game user name:

Post by Erik414 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:15 pm

It would be nice if you could figure out a way to stop people from pulling without penalizing legitimate drops. Beacuse as i have said before I travel for a living, I drive a semi truck and on the road more often then home. I often find myself parked in areas with poor signal. As of late I have been trying not to play when I have a bad connection. (Those are nights when I am on here posting things). But I still find myself wanting to play despite my poor connection hence the 18 drops. But if you look at my wins to losses yoy will see i have no problem losing and don't drop on purpose.

Essence Team
In-game user name:

Post by Essence Team » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:48 am

As 1mb4k4 said - there is another problem with the extreme measure to take scores and give a loss to the dropper and give gold, exp and scores to the other player. And this problem is the fact that some people will find a way to exploit that rule to generate fake scores + gold + exp. The unfair users will use any system to play unfairly - like making multiple accounts, playing with 2 of their accounts and surrendering and farming..

1mb4k4
In-game user name: 1mb4k4

Post by 1mb4k4 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:52 pm

I am testing a system that applies penalty to the ranking score.
It applies only for the ranking list. The penalty is exponential meaning that you could afford some drops but after a some amount it will hut your score more and more severely.