A few suggestions

Discussions about the gameplay and critique regarding the current state of the game and it's features.

Moderator: Essence Team

dullrust
In-game user name: dullrust

A few suggestions

Post by dullrust » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:20 pm

First I want to say good game dev. This game has potential! Now to the topic which will have a couple suggestions.

Why is there only one orc class? Also why are there no female and male characters for all races?

I would suggest the second class of orcs be a shaman. As you currently have rouge and warrior. two classes have access to each of those card types. The caster is the only one who does not. On top of this you can make it a female. As shaman is not a gender enforcing term this should work. This will kill 3 birds with one stone as far as the orcs go. A simple explanation for why a female only shaman is this.

In orc society females are revered. The reasons for this is they are extremely rare births. On top of this they are always more intelligent than the average orc male. The down side being they have less strength overall than orc males. Thus they prefer to outwit their opponent or just fry them. Only females can become a shaman in orc society. And no shaman can rule a clan (at least not directly). Orc females also tend to be less aggressive towards others than orc males. It is the highest crime in orc society for a male orc ( or anyone else for that matter) to harm a female orc. As with most crimes in orc society punishment is death. But with this one every orc that lives will hunt down the perpetrator and kill them mercilessly. Where as for most crimes the attthee is " its your problem" .The only exception is if the female has died in a battle or a duel.

Combos are interesting but Why are there not more obvious combos?

I would suggest more lower ranking combos.These don't have to be super powered just an extra point or two of damage, defence, or something else. Like shield block and shield bash, counter attack, heavy punch, or something. Or parry and disarm, sword bash, or something. As that is basic fighting tactics anyways. It will also get new people used to combos early. Both in seeing them and doing them.

Okay that's it for now!

1mb4k4
In-game user name: 1mb4k4

Re: A few suggestions

Post by 1mb4k4 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:55 am

Hi,

You guessed right :)
The orc shaman is almost complete now!

Combos are designed in a such way, so they don't overlap too much. As you can play only one combo per card at a given time.
Other thing is that new players are sometimes scared of the combos, as they see them as additional complexity.
Ne players have to get used to the card attributes and their properties.

dullrust

Post by dullrust » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:59 am

Great :D

But I take it you didn't care for the other part of it? I can see where your coming from with the combos. Darn you archer! Two 50 points in two turns knocked me for a loop. Or the rouge locking me completely out for three straight rounds. No discard, no buffs, no energy, and a full hand of cards! But up to that point I had no real idea of combos. That was why I suggested getting players used to the earlier.

Well anyways thanks for the reply!

1mb4k4
In-game user name: 1mb4k4

Post by 1mb4k4 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:22 pm

I have made so many mistakes in my post :) haha, i fixed them.
Combos are interesting but Why are there not more obvious combos?

I would suggest more lower ranking combos.These don't have to be super powered just an extra point or two of damage, defence, or something else. Like shield block and shield bash, counter attack, heavy punch, or something. Or parry and disarm, sword bash, or something. As that is basic fighting tactics anyways. It will also get new people used to combos early. Both in seeing them and doing them.
We tried to build up the complexity more gradually from a players perspective and make it really balanced. That's why not every card has a combo, especially the normal ones...

Why combos are not very obvious? Well, first the cards are designed by attributes. Meaning a card with specific attributes is defined as an entity according to the character/race it is bound to. Then a somewhat related name and description are defined to complete the card.
The same principle applies to combos. First the combo is created as needed for the game balance. Then a name for this combo is derived from the cards. Combos are defined to boost specific attributes and in this way emphasizing specific game-play and tactic.
You can not expect to mix cards like some sort of ingredients and some cool combos to pop up. Combos are just like cards. Strictly defined.

dullrust

Post by dullrust » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:32 pm

Okay guess that works thanks. :)