Recent Balance Changes

Discussions about the gameplay and critique regarding the current state of the game and it's features.

Moderator: Essence Team

Mordengard
In-game user name:

Recent Balance Changes

Post by Mordengard » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:01 pm

I would like to applaud the developers for many of the recent changes. As for those who continue to whine if you like the concept of the game you will adapt and seek new strategies. I believe many of the recent changes came about because more and more people where adopting the Orc Hero "I Win" strategy of having very few cards in their deck in order to reduce the possible randomness of drawing from the collector deck and ending a game quickly. This strategy was very effective and nearly impossible for other classes to overcome, hence some of the many new changes. I like the new Knight character and leveled one up and realized hey these Leadership combos could ruin any class if used properly. I won many battles against all classes relatively easily. This was my "I Win" Strategy. Well low and behold today it got nerfed. I knew it would happen and in the end I am glad it did. The bottom line is if someone comes up with a strategy that allows a relatively easy win that is localized to a single class it becomes a balance issue. Again I applaud the designers for recognizing these issues and making attempts to correct them. I look forward to interesting challenges with smart players who choose their decks and play their cards wisely. A victory earned through the possibility of defeat is much more rewarding than a guaranteed win.

Gigaplex
In-game user name:

Re: Recent Balance Changes

Post by Gigaplex » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:09 pm

Mordengard wrote:I would like to applaud the developers for many of the recent changes. As for those who continue to whine if you like the concept of the game you will adapt and seek new strategies. I believe many of the recent changes came about because more and more people where adopting the Orc Hero "I Win" strategy of having very few cards in their deck in order to reduce the possible randomness of drawing from the collector deck and ending a game quickly. This strategy was very effective and nearly impossible for other classes to overcome, hence some of the many new changes. I like the new Knight character and leveled one up and realized hey these Leadership combos could ruin any class if used properly. I won many battles against all classes relatively easily. This was my "I Win" Strategy. Well low and behold today it got nerfed. I knew it would happen and in the end I am glad it did. The bottom line is if someone comes up with a strategy that allows a relatively easy win that is localized to a single class it becomes a balance issue. Again I applaud the designers for recognizing these issues and making attempts to correct them. I look forward to interesting challenges with smart players who choose their decks and play their cards wisely. A victory earned through the possibility of defeat is much more rewarding than a guaranteed win.
Says the guy looking up at everyone else in the rankings! lol :D Just joking dude.. this is what gameplay discussion is for.

drhoule
In-game user name:

Re: Recent Balance Changes

Post by drhoule » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:30 pm

I've seen these changes and the immediate grumble in too many games. In the end, developers usually get it right. Let's give them time, the game has potential.

I think what will come out is how difficult it is to balance multiple heroes with a wide variety of different skill sets.