Minimum Deck Number.

Discussions about the gameplay and critique regarding the current state of the game and it's features.

Moderator: Essence Team

Do you think there should be a Minimum number of cards to build decks?

YES
71%
NO
29%

Total votes: 17

Syndharos
In-game user name:

Minimum Deck Number.

Post by Syndharos » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:57 pm

Welcome. :P

Kotori Acadius
In-game user name:

Re: Minimum Deck Number.

Post by Kotori Acadius » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:07 am

I'm reviving this old topic because I still think essence team should implement this to there game. Its been a nuisance for me to battle these Level 50 and above players.

MOST OF THESE PLAYERS PLAY WITH A DECK OF 25 OR LESS DECK!!!!! Its frustrating and unbalanced that in three turns there are already doing there final tier combo! And it also makes the Card "Honor Guidance" useless because they already collected all there cards from there deck before I can play it! Essence team Your "Calmness" feature didn't do anything to counter this problem. Why can't you make a simple minimum deck rule for only battle against other players not the A.I.

The rule can go some thing like this:
Level 1-10 the minimum deck is 10
Level 11-20 the minimum deck is 20
Level 21-30 the minimum deck is 30
Level 31-40 the minimum deck is 40
Level 41-99 the minimum deck is 50

Please Essence team implement this. Calmness doesn't cut it, also it made the cards "Haunting Vocies" and "Honor Guidance " cards useless.

Nikodemus
In-game user name:

Post by Nikodemus » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:28 pm

While there are counters to the short deck already...dispel combined with honor guidance work almost too well...I agree that there should be a minimum. I believe the bigger problem is that "Boss of the Orcs" is probably over powered. I would like to see it weakened a bit with the other combos being made useful again. give me...the orc...more options and I would use them so you didn't know what I was trying to do every duel.

Kotori Acadius
In-game user name:

Post by Kotori Acadius » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:13 pm

Nikodemus the combo "boss of the orcs" isn't over-powered it does exactly what the Infamous Orcs are known for sheer strength and savagery, that what makes them Boss 8-)

Like I said earlier "Honor Guidance" has become useless in today's current rules. We humans need to wait for Calmness to reach to 1 in that time our opponents have drawn a total of 22 cards, 10 at the beginning of the battle and 3 ( if not up 6 cards if you have the character skill that increase drawn cards) per turn, so your opponent has drawn between 22-34 cards until calmness becomes 1.

So you see if your opponents have 30 or less cards in there deck by the time I can FINALLY play "Honor Guidance" you have already gotten all you needed to win by then.

I do admit that back in the old days before calmness and what not "Honor Guidance" was the ultimate curb stomp for small decks or any size deck. making it a death sentance for the other player if they can't wipe it off the board soon enough. I'm not complianing that the calmness of 1 is not reasonable it is a very strong card but It has become ineffective to small decks now.

1mb4k4
In-game user name: 1mb4k4

Post by 1mb4k4 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:01 pm

So the were doing these combos on the first turn, now they are doing it on the third, this is a progress after all :)
So i think the calmness works.

Minimum deck size is such a common concept for all other games but is really necessary for this game?
Let's say you are kind of lucky and you pull up the cards for the combo in the first 1-3 turns.
Your opponent will be devastated and still it will look overpowered and unfair.
Yes, you will say luck is luck, but it will be kind of frustrating, right.
So our solution was to introduce the calmness, which works no matter whether your are lucky or not and does not take away the freedom to have a deck as big as you like.

Maybe the calmness should be increased and you won't be allowed to put the combo until the 4th or 5th turn.
What do you think?

Nikodemus
In-game user name:

Post by Nikodemus » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:22 pm

I personally have no problem with deck size. Play around with the calmness. My question would be then...why we're the Orc combos strengthened only to see them weakened if calmness is strengthened.

Kotori Acadius
In-game user name:

Post by Kotori Acadius » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:49 pm

I honestly don't know what to tell you... if you do increase the calmness for some combos then my orcish kin, like Nikodemus here, will really take a toll from more limitations to his very low combo set. And if you guys do put a minimum deck number it might frustrate some players and make them lose interest to the game... there really isn't much of a win here or a compromise, we just have to have faith in essence team to make more incentives for rank and or a new multiplayer mode that everyone can enjoy

Kotori Acadius
In-game user name:

Post by Kotori Acadius » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:04 pm

After some thought and some reality check check from essence team I'm convinced that a minimum deck number might not be a good/fair idea for some certain classes ex: orc warrior,elf archer. So I was thinking how about we decrease the calmness of heroic cards from 4 to 3 so it will give us chucky deck players an opportunity to play/draw a mystify or dispel. I would be satisfied with this change I don't know about my fellow player think about it. Just pitching an idea out there.

1mb4k4
In-game user name: 1mb4k4

Post by 1mb4k4 » Thu May 22, 2014 1:54 pm

Guys, sorry fro hijacking the topic but as we were discussing the calmness and the Orcs decks etc.
I would really like to hear your opinion on this viewtopic.php?f=5&t=716

Motylek
In-game user name:

Post by Motylek » Sat May 24, 2014 6:34 am

Hello,

I would like to say something to this from other point of view. I personally do not see problem in minimum number of cards in deck, but rather I see problem in Honor Guidance itself. What is this card doing? It is basicly saying, "do not build large decks, otherwise you will lose and you will have to rely on luck to get small percentual chance to win". Honor guidance is "death sentence". So from other side it is like "I can not build large deck, if I want to have fair chance to win duel". Furthermore, I noticed that Honor Guidance had calmness 1 in past but today I noticed it was improved to calmness 2. For me it is very bad news. :-(

Nonetheless, as I see it, point of this thread was to set minimum number of cards in deck, to make cards like Honor Guidance having more impact. I would instead suggest another solution and that is to "ban" card Honor Guidance, because point of this game is to build your own strategy, your own personalized deck, which will help you win against other strategies, but Honor Guidance is directly forbidding you to reach that goal. It is like card Platinum Angel in Magic the Gathering. You may not be familiar with MTG, so I will explain what that card does. Text of Platinum Angel is "You can't lose the game and your opponents can't win the game." which is parallel to Honor Guidance. Card itself will not win you duel, but it will prevent opponent to win, which is in my opinion, terrible card design.

I am sorry if I was too subjective, I am just human after all, but this is what I personally and honestly think.
Motylek

PS: I do not know why is this card named Honor Guidance, because this is simply the most unfair card in whole Eldhelm. I see it more flavorfully associated with "cheating character of Rogues" rather than "honorable character of Knights".