Improve Ranking matchups - allow turn-based

Discussions about the gameplay and critique regarding the current state of the game and it's features.

Moderator: Essence Team

Naga02
In-game user name:

Improve Ranking matchups - allow turn-based

Post by Naga02 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:39 pm

I have heard several times that it is difficult to get into a Ranking Match game, especially at higher levels. I don't know the exact requirements to who can be matched to who, but I know it requires at least two players to be "searching" for a Ranking Match at the same time.

My suggestion is this - take advantage of the fact that this is a turn-based game and allow Ranked Matches to be turn-based as well. There is no reason every Ranked Matchup needs to be real-time.

Essence Team - I know it may be a big challenge to implement this system. However, it is also not a ground breaking idea, so you have plenty of other games out there to model from. I found this link that might help also with the Technical end of it: https://developers.google.com/games/ser ... ultiplayer

I think if players had both the option to do a real-time or turn-based Ranked Match, you would get a lot more players matched up in fair battles. I know I often found myself cancelling my Ranking Search after about 30 seconds and going and playing a computer opponent.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this!

Nikodemus
In-game user name:

Re: Improve Ranking matchups - allow turn-based

Post by Nikodemus » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:33 pm

What we need is to have a helpful community in chat. So many noobs ask questions in chat and so many times they get silence. Never to be heard from. I try to help as much as I can but it takes more than one person. Be friendly and outgoing towards new guys. They are your future ranking games.

Kotori Acadius
In-game user name:

Post by Kotori Acadius » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:56 pm

I disagree with you naga it not that it hard to find rank matches it just that there is no incentive to do so, also Knowing this game community for almost a year , players who do ranking only do it with a small deck with only the strongest possible combo there character can do. JUST BECAUSE OF THIS FACT many players new and old are sick of rank matches its not regulated nor is it balance.

Are new players are recognizing that are community battles are unfair to them. They just picked up the game and had enough confidence to challenge another player just to be hit hard with combos like "holy backstab", "holy vengeance","orcish drums",etc., these combos kill them easily, most off them in one turn and discourage them to play this game ever again. Essence team needs to put more rules and regulations and incentives to keep the new players invested in this game.

Even I get tired of going into rank matches and fighting other players with a bunch of characters skills and a small deck its just frustrating and isn't fun nor challenging if you just depend on combos like the "royal shadow" that gives you 109 bonus damage to kill your opponent's quick.there is not strategy in games like that it all about how can get there combo out first.that's why I want a minimum deck number in rank games because I for one I'm not touching rank untilled there are changes to it. :x

Naga02
In-game user name:

Post by Naga02 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:50 pm

Niko - I don't really see the connection between helpful lobby chat and players finding Ranking Matches. I for one, find it cumbersome to type on a phone, and should not need to do that in order to find some one to duel. If new players need help, they should be here on the forums.

Kotori - I am not saying this solution will fix the issue of small combo decks and beefed up skills that make fights unfair. I am just suggesting that if there are more people entering into the Ranking System, then more even matchups will result. I don't know how complex the algorithm is for the Ranking System, but I assume it at least takes level into consideration, and possibly more (gold spent on skills?, average rarity of cards in collector deck?).

Maybe it is just my experience that it is hard to get a Ranking match when I want to, but if not, I'd like to see some stats. How many active players are there and how many are meeting up for Ranking Matches currently and what is the breakdown of levels of the characters they play?

Kotori Acadius
In-game user name:

Post by Kotori Acadius » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:52 pm

@Naga02
I understand you want to encourage more rank matches amongst active players I get that. But here's the thing first Rank matches gives you same rewards as challenges do, so players look at just that and think what the point of me risking my good win/lose ratio on rank if I can get the same results in challenge match. See there is no INCENTIVE FOR RANK

Secondly I come again to the small deck topic, generally most of our player base come from Magic the Gathering or YuGiOh,these players including myself enjoy these other tcg because of there diverse cards and artwork and lets not forget that these games also have rules like a minimum deck for yugioh it 40 and fir MTG its 60 also these franchises regulate the rules and cards of their games. They take record of the most commonly used cards and strategies and play test them constantly to see if there over powered and can't be easily countered that's why the limit or even ban said cards for the sake of balance for all and for them not to lose customers.

@Nikodemus
You can't force people to be kind Nikodemus. Some people are jerks and will always be so. If our newcomers can't ignore these type of people then there are going to face many troubling thing throughout there life's. Also we have the new user block feature so there's that. AS for giving them advice I give them a few pointers if they ask in the lobby but seriously if these newcomers are so lazy to play the tutorial and want others to tell them what the tutorial already covers then of course I'm going to ignore said players because I know these type people don't invest into things for very long so there is no point. :roll:

Nikodemus
In-game user name:

Post by Nikodemus » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:35 pm

Or you can just assume they're all the same and ignore them all equally.

Naga02
In-game user name:

Post by Naga02 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:25 pm

@Kotori
I don't think the fact that the rewards for Rank and Challenge matches being the same really has any impact on the idea I am presenting. That's fine that they are the same rewards and should be. My issue with Challenge is that it still requires someone else to be online at the same time as you to play them. Then you have to scroll through the list of people in the lobby and challenge them one at a time hoping someone accepts. This too time consuming and most people won't bother.

The turn-based idea allows players to say "Yes, I'd like to play a game against another player, even if it is not at this very moment". It could even be completely separate from the Ranking system and be more like straight up Challenges. A player could "host" a table and maybe put on level restrictions of the players they would accept (+/- their own level). Then, another player could come along well after the host as logged off, sit down at the table and start the match. The host player would get a notification on their phone that someone has joined their table and started a match and that it is their turn. The two players could then play the match asynchronously, one turn at a time on their own time.

If the system is implemented well, it could even allow you to be in multiple turn-by-turn games at a time. Imagine this, you have about 30 minutes of time to kill, you log into Edlhelm and have four matches waiting for you. You make those four moves (no timer hurrying you, so you can make the BEST move), then you go grind against computers or chat in the lobby, whatever you feel like doing, and who knows, maybe one of your four opponents is live at that time and you can go back and fourth quickly. If not, no big deal, come back several hours later or the next day and you'll have more moves to make.

I am not saying this system should replace the Real-Time system, but be in addition to it. This should have an overall impact of more players playing against players and not just grinding AI all the time.

Nikodemus
In-game user name:

Post by Nikodemus » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:32 pm

I like the turn-based system idea. I suppose it would work something like words with friends.

What I suggested would simply help retain more players. This in turn would make Ranking games easier to find. The problem is there just aren't enough players that stick around.

Naga02
In-game user name:

Post by Naga02 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:51 pm

True, I'm not sure how many active players this game needs to make multiplayer matchups viable. It would be nice to have some stats from the Essence team on what the player base looks like. Like how many players log in per day per server. What's the average time logged in and bucket the levels of the heros they play.

It is really hard to get a sense of how many players do play this game. Right now, I am on the North American server and there are 44 players in the lobby...

Kotori Acadius
In-game user name:

Post by Kotori Acadius » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:05 pm

Another thing they could do is to logout idle players after a certain time of inactivity, I have seen some players in lobby for days and never see them response to challenges or chat.

On another note essence team did sort of listened to my rant topics, "Honor Guidance" card calmness was 1 and now its 2, Hip-hip Hooray for progress! :D :D :D