Hate speech: Gender insults at every turn.

Discussions about the gameplay and critique regarding the current state of the game and it's features.

Moderator: Essence Team

danner
In-game user name: danner

Hate speech: Gender insults at every turn.

Post by danner » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:11 pm

I find that most of the language used in-game about your enemies is about them being faggots, lesbians, bitches, sluts, whores, and the like. Much less about them being smelling, frail, stupid, unable to hold a sword, weak, milk-drinkers, or the multitude of insults that do not concern gender or sexuality.

I've only been playing the Orc story so far, but I'm not sure how Orcs are too concerned about the gender and sexuality of their enemies. As card games go, I see no reason that this game should push away potential lady-gamers or gamers of non-heteronormative gender roles for some flavorful text.

I say this as an ally of LBTQ people (and gamers), I suggest removing, or at least diversifying, the insults used against enemies in the game. It certainly doesn't make the Orcs sound like barbarians, it makes them sound like conservative christian hicks.

narfi
In-game user name: Narfi

Re: Hate speech: Gender insults at every turn.

Post by narfi » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:48 am

Now that you mention it, the 3rd series for the Rogue (campaign against the elves) was pretty derogatory and immature as well. (calling them sluts, and being suggestive about them and their desires)

Essence Team
In-game user name:

Post by Essence Team » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:09 am

Maybe you can try some other characters. There is huge difference in the language and the general perception not only among different races but also among different characters. You have picked the most insulting and brutal character - the Orc Warrior and have left with the impression that each story is full with such brutality. Picking up your first or main character is not only about your game style but also about yourself as a person.

danner
In-game user name: danner

Post by danner » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:18 pm

Is that an official answer? You picked the wrong character? If I'm so sensitive, I should have played an Elf?

I'm cool with a few gender/sexuality jokes among the races, but even racists are more varied and colorful in their insults. And these characters can actually discuss race as an issue, being that they are actually different races.

Don't cover for bad writing, let people know. Fantasy is a great medium to discuss gender/sexuality/race/social issues, you've got a chance to make something happen.

Kotori Acadius
In-game user name:

Post by Kotori Acadius » Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:07 am

Hmm...interesting, your affended by language used in text boxes. Usually I take text and passages with a grain of salt, I don't go diving into every word seeking for a deeper meaning or metaphor.

If you ask me the wording for each character is used corresponding for there state of mind and the environment there rised in.
Orc's were genetically designed to be brutes by the Dwarf's, So the lack the intelligence and interest to learn new colorful words to say to his victims, take into account that only wording can be used to show savagery. if you use to much fancy words it falls out of place for the character, if you describe his features and noises you bore the audience with dull information which isnt needed this isnt a broadway show nor an emotion driven cinema like walking dead.

This is a fun little card game where are objective is to rule eldhelm, not to make deep committed relationships with our opponents, if you want that sort of thing play Mass Effect 1-3,that game will get you feeling every emotion possble.

Maybe when Essence team is ready to reintroduce the dark forces, our residents of eldhelm will be more empathetic with one other and have more diverse language, give the game some slack andrey and the rest of essence team are trying there best, putting heart and soul to there game.

1mb4k4
In-game user name: 1mb4k4

Post by 1mb4k4 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:16 pm

Hi danner,

The story and the overall tone of the game is full of irony, crude jokes and rough language - no doubt about it...

I think it should not be taken seriously, Kotori is right!
Many people just play and never pay attention to the texts, but some read them and laugh. :)
I am really sorry that it pisses you off, makes me sad :(

Regarding the ladies, there a few girls playing. I think somewhere around 10-15% of the players registering are female. Which is pretty much by the book.
So i don't think our childish and vulgar jokes have any influence on that.

Of course, danner, we will take your complaints into account and we will try to be slightly more picky with the upcoming expansions.

Regards,
Andrey